Friday, December 7, 2012

CAN ANYTHING SAVE THIS PROJECT???

The guidelines I was given: A MugRug and I like dogs and orange. Oh my. This is a toughie. The orange just jumps right out, but then orange is like that, eh?
 
I embroidered the  seam lines of the strips and did some quilting with variegated thread hoping that would help calm the orange down. It helped a little:

If some Orange/Tan or Orange/White mini stripe could be found, or even Orange/Blue, then cutting the stripe on the bias for binding might help.

Someone very good with color once told me if a color isn't sitting nicely in a project to ADD more of it... it helps it to quiet down. I've used this trick before very successfully, but I'm not sure anything can help this little mug rug. Do YOU have any SUGGESTIONS or ADVICE?? I would really appreciate it so much.  Thank you. This is supposed to be done by Sunday night... no pressure, right?!

Sew, until next time I am gonna quit for the night -- maybe go read. What are YOU going to do?

Quilty Hugs,

13 comments:

Sheila said...

I have heard that, too. If that is true, you could try orange binding. That may pull it all together.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

What about trimming the border a bit and binding it in the blue that you have around the dog....I think it looks good...

Cattinka said...

Don´t you have any more of that blue that you put around the "dog", I think I would like that a s a binding.
KATRIN W.

Anonymous said...

I think orange binding may 'quiet it down'. Only thing I can think of!

Podunk Pretties said...

Could you use crayon or fabric markers to color in the white areas of the dog block? Applique a blue dog bowl or bone in the orange area and orange dog bone or dish in the white area. Stip piece a binding with the fabrics used in the rug to pull it all together.

beaquilter said...

before reading the last part, I was thinking you should add more orange to the border, either chop down the brown to skinny or rip it out.

SIMPLESEW said...

Remove the Paw Print, Trim it in a Dark color and us the paw print for the back...

Mara said...

Maybe you could make a bone pocket over the lower part of the orange to hold cookies.

Anonymous said...

Cyn, I would use that same blue you already have in the mug rug to add a blue 'bone shape' raw edge applique to the orange area, and then bind it in that same blue... Have fun making your decision!

~Jillian in North Dakota

Elly D said...

Your posts always come in the day after the day, LOL..
I like Jillian's suggestion... or binding with orange... OR
Could you add some cornerstones in the the blue you've used to frame then add orange binding... Not much use eh? LOL... Either way, I think it looks Great!!! Seriously... it is so cute :) hugs
Ellyx

Cathy said...

I would probably make that inner border with the dog in orange and bind in orange. I do think it needs more orange.

But, I DON'T like orange (but I do like oranges - yumm).

VickiT said...

What I would do is probably more work than you want to do at this point. I think I'd trim the dog off of the left side and applique him over top of the orange areas. Then put something else on the left where you took the dog from. OR is there something else you can applique over the orange that might settle it down more? A leash or dog dish? What about a little hand embroidered design in black or blue to match the border on the orange?

Rosa Robichaud said...

I just "tagged" you!!!!

*running out of the room*

http://robich.blogspot.ca/2012/12/i-do-sew-have-life-nancy-rose-lol.html

Rosa